Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Waiting

The alarm goes off at stupid o'clock. We've been back in Cambridge for two days and Mrs G's early morning routine has started again. Which means that my early morning do-whatever-I-like non-routine has started again.

I just finished eating a bowl of Special K Oats & Honey followed by a bowl of Special K Bliss Creamy Berry Crunch. Yes, that's right: only 3% fat. Having given up alcohol one month and one day ago (not that I'm counting) I've decided that I need to stave off the not-quite-middle-age-yet spread. As I'm now 40 I figure I'll need to put in a bit of effort if I want to keep my Adonis like physique. Mrs G truly is a blessed woman.

Now that breakfast is out of the way I've poured myself a cup of coffee (with cream) and I wait. After several years of thinking about it I finally got round to ordering myself a new DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera which I'm expecting to be delivered today. I've always had something of an interest in looking at pictures (no, not that kind you pervs) but didn't really get into taking photographs until six years or so ago. My trusty Nikon Coolpix 4300 has served me well but it's a fairly basic digital compact.

As well as taking thousands of pictures and looking at bazillions of pictures I've also done a fair bit of reading about photography. Knowledge of shutter speeds, apertures, ISO, depth of field, focal length and other such things are all lurking somewhere in my brain waiting for an opportunity to be put into practice. And today they will get that chance! Well, maybe. I'll have to charge the battery first and then work out how the thingy goes into the wotsit. Presuming it does arrive that is.

So until then I'll drink copious cups of coffee, upload some more of my American Adventure photos and do a spot of reading (I downloaded the DSLR manual from t'interweb).
When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence. ~ Ansel Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment