Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Arrival

When the door bell rings, just moments after finishing my first entry on this blog, I feel a slight thrill of excitement. I've never seen such a good looking postman as he beams at me and hands me a large parcel. It's from Amazon so I know that my new camera is within. I place the packet reverently on the dining room table and carefully use a knife to slice open the packing tape. Removing the padding I am greeted by a compact box which I gingerly remove. I pour myself another coffee and get comfortable on the sofa.

For a while I just look at the box , savouring the moment. Eventually I pry it gently open. There are warranties, manuals, a DVD and CD at the top which I place to one side. And there it is: my Olympus E-520. I carefully remove the foam and plastic wrapping and just hold it for a while, softly caressing its curves and tentatively pushing its buttons. The two lenses are surprisingly light. One is 14-42mm and the other 40-150mm (double for 35mm equivalent).

As I have to charge the battery it will be a few hours before I can take any photos. In the meantime I watch the DVD guide which Olympus have thoughtfully included. It's a little bit cheesy but the information provided gives a very useful overview of the camera and its functions. Once it's finished I securely fit the strap and attach each lens in turn, delighting in the click as they lock into place.

Looking through the viewfinder for the first time I can't help but smile. A contented glow fills me and I feel like I've had an epiphany, which, given the day, seems quite appropriate.
Your equipment DOES NOT affect the quality of your image. The less time and effort you spend worrying about your equipment the more time and effort you can spend creating great images. The right equipment just makes it easier, faster or more convenient for you to get the results you need. ~ Ken Rockwell

No comments:

Post a Comment